Steve is primarily a corporate transactional lawyer, advising and assisting middle market and development stage companies in structuring and executing acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures and strategic alliances, private equity and debt financings (as both issuer and investor counsel), technology licensing and transfers, employment matters and compensation issues and equipment and real estate leasing transactions. As a result, his practice typically involves providing general legal, business and strategic counseling for clients across a broad spectrum of industries and matters.
Steve's clients include established manufacturing companies, cable television networks, internet content providers, equipment leasing businesses, service companies, venture capital funds and entrepreneurs. He also often advises startup founders and investors on entity formation and structure, corporate governance, management and financing. In recent years, Steve has counseled several start-up companies that are at the forefront of the "new media" revolution on issues concerning organizational matters, financing and intellectual property protection and exploitation.
Steve attended Binghamton University where he received his B.A. degree with High Honors in Economics in 1978 and Boston University School of Law where he received his J.D. degree in 1981 and was a member of the Boston University Law Review. Upon graduating from law school, Steve worked as a corporate associate at Breed Abbott & Morgan (1981-1985) and Berlack Israels & Liberman (1985-1989). In 1989, Steve was a founding partner of Kreinik Aaron & Gersh where he led the corporate department for 14 years before joining Berkowitz, Trager & Trager as a Member in 2004.
Primary Practice Areas
General Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions; Private Equity and Venture Capital Financings; Equipment Leasing; Cable Television; Employment Matters; Real Estate Leasing
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1981
- Binghamton University, B.A. Economics, 1978
- State of Connecticut
- State of New York
- Representation of the cable television network Oxygen Media as outside general counsel from formation through the sale of the network to NBC Universal, including work on affiliate agreements, licensing, executive compensation and real estate matters
- Representation of proprietary trading firm in the acquisition and divestiture of related businesses, including the sale of its trade execution subsidiary to a public company in exchange for equity
- Representation of private equity fund in a $5 million Series A investment in a development stage technology company in the cargo screening industry
- Representation of IT staffing firm in $60 million asset sale and subsequent reacquisition of the business, including mezzanine financing
- Representation of online magazine in spin-off from parent entity and first two rounds of venture capital financing
- Representation of The Brooklyn Brewery as outside general counsel, including equity financings, sale of distribution business, assignment of distribution rights, brand acquisitions and real estate matters
- Representation of a health club chain in connection with divestitures and acquisitions of gyms
- Representation of online bank it the acquisition and divestiture of commercial paper, including equipment leases
- Representation of equipment leasing company from formation through $50 million sale to American Express
- Representation of medical education services company as outside general counsel through $30 million sale to WPP
- Representation of president of cable television network in employment contract negotiations, including equity participation in parent entity