Ji is a corporate transactional lawyer with extensive experience representing financial sponsors, investor groups and public and private companies in a variety of transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, divestures, joint ventures, venture capital investments and securities offerings. His clients include private equity funds, venture capital funds, multinational companies and start-up companies. He has advised clients in diverse industries, including financial services, traditional and renewal energy, mining, shipping, aerospace, manufacturing, real estate, paper and packaging, media, education, technology, software, e-commerce, food and beverage, biotech and pharmaceutical.
Ji attended Rutgers University where he received his B.S. in Accounting in 1998 and was a member of the Beta Alpha Psi Honor Fraternity. He attended Fordham University School of Law where he received his J.D. in 2004 and served as a Notes & Articles Editor of the Fordham Environmental Law Journal.
Following his graduation from law school, he spent six years as a corporate associate in the New York office of Vinson & Elkins LLP and four years as an M&A associate in the New York office of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP. Prior to joining Berkowitz, Trager & Trager in 2016, he was a partner at Sadis & Goldberg LLP in New York. In 2013, he received a Lawyers Alliance for New York Cornerstone Award for his efforts in pro bono services. He is also a Certified Public Accountant. Prior to practicing law, he was a manager at Deloitte LLP.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2004
- Rutgers University - New Brunswick, B.S. (Accounting), 1998
Admissions and Licenses
- New York
- Certified Public Accountant
- Representation of a Fortune 100 company in the sale of a division to a special purpose acquisition corporation for $215 million and its industrial papers business to a private equity fund for $180 million.
- Representation of a publicly traded limited partnership in the merger with a publicly traded corporation valued over $1.2 billion.
- Representation of a private equity fund in the acquisition of a coal mining company for $200 million.
- Representation of a private equity fund in multiple investments in an offshore drilling company in excess of $500 million and the acquisition of alternative energy company in the amount of $400 million.
- Representation of a private equity fund in the acquisition of a supermarket chain for $262 million.
- Representation of a private equity fund in the sale of a power generation company for $100 million.
- Representation of an investment bank in the acquisition of an energy trading business for $335 million.
- Representation of an investment bank in an $800 million commercial real estate mortgage joint venture with a sovereign fund and the acquisition of a global commodities business for $420 million.
- Representation of an aircraft leasing company in multiple investments by various hedge funds in excess of $300 million.
- Representation of an education company in the acquisition of an online K-12 school for $400 million and an online college degree program for $650 million.
- Representation of a hedge fund in the acquisition of multiple wind power projects in excess of $70 million.
- Representation of a European pharmaceutical company in a strategic acquisition of a U.S. competitor for $70 million.
- Representation of a private equity fund in the acquisitions of multiple divisions (domestic and international) of a multinational conglomerate in excess of $350 million and an investment in a chemical startup in Series A-1 round in the amount of $3 million.
- Representation of a management team in a sale of a financial services company for $80 million as an upfront payment and up to $40 million in a post-closing earn-out payment.
- Representation of a petroleum products distributor in an IPO in the amount of $124 million.
- Representation of a shipping company in multiple follow-on offerings of common stock in the aggregate amount of $550 million, a private offering of preferred stock in the amount of $200 million and a private offering of common stock in the amount of $75 million.
- Representation of a newspaper company in a venture capital funding for an online news service in the amount of $12 million.
- Representation of a family office in various venture capital investments in excess of $10 million.
- Representation of a venture capital fund in an investment in a FinTech startup in Series A round in the amount of $3 million.